On this land, Emperor Gotoba was very fond of the detached palace Minase Imperial Palace was built. However, the Retired Emperor Gotoba was defeated by the Kamakura bakufu in the Jokyu Disturbance and exiled to Oki Province, where he died, leaving the Minase-dono area in ruins. After that, in 1240, based on the will of the Retired Emperor Gotoba (Emperor Gotoba’s shinkan imprint, National Treasure), Minase Nobunari and his son Chikanari built the Goei-do Hall on the former site of the Imperial Palace of His Imperial Highness Minase. was enshrined. This Minase Miedo is the beginning of this shrine. In 1494, Emperor Gotsuchimikado welcomed the divine spirit of the retired Emperor Gotoba from Oki and enshrined the divine name of Minase no Miya.
During the Azuchi-Momoyama period, Hideyoshi Toyotomi built a reception hall (important cultural property) with Masanori Fukushima as the construction magistrate. During the Kan’ei era (1624-1645), Emperor Meisho’s Naishi-dokoro, which was located in the Kyoto Imperial Palace, was relocated and rebuilt as the new main hall.
Until the Edo period, it was enshrined in Buddhist style, but in the Meiji period, the separation of Shintoism and Buddhism was carried out, and in 1873, Minase Miedo became a shrine, and when it was renamed to Minase no Miya, it was listed as a government-issued middle company. . At the same time, the divine spirits of Emperor Tsuchimikado and Emperor Juntoku, who were exiled during the Jokyu Disturbance and passed away there as well as Emperor Gotoba, are enshrined together from the place of exile.
In 1939 (Showa 14), it was renamed Minase Jingu when it was given the name Jingu and ranked as a government-issued grand shrine. It is the only shrine in Osaka Prefecture.
In 1948 (Showa 23), it was added to the Beppyo-jinja Shrine of the Jinja Honcho.
Minase Betsugyo was originally a villa of Naidaijin Minamoto no Michichika. The Retired Emperor Gotoba, who visited this villa in January 1200, took a liking to it and took over the villa from Michichika and turned it into a detached palace, Minase-dono. Immediately in the second month of the same year, the Retired Emperor visited the detached palace and changed the name of this place to Hirose, and eventually Minase-dono came to be called Hirose-dono. In addition, Iwashimizu Hachiman-gu Shrine (here, the current Rikyu Hachiman-gu Shrine) was built on the site of Kayo Imperial Palace, which was once the detached palace of Emperor Saga, so the retired emperor built a new Kaya Imperial Palace nearby. .
However, when heavy rain fell in May 1202, the Minase-gawa River overflowed and some of the buildings in the Imperial Villa were washed away, and in January 1203, the Imperial Villa was destroyed. Rumors are circulating that the However, the villa was repaired. After this, the retired emperor visited Minase Rikyu many times.
In August 1216, another storm caused the Minase-gawa River to overflow, causing great damage to the detached palace. For this reason, the Retired Emperor decided to build a new detached palace on the top of the mountain. When construction work started in January 1217 and the new Imperial Palace was completed, the new Imperial Palace was called the Minase Imperial Palace, and the old Imperial Palace came to be called the Minase Imperial Palace. Both imperial palaces fell into disrepair when the retired emperor was exiled to the Oki Islands.
Main hall (registered as a national tangible cultural property) – Emperor Meisho’s residence in the Kyoto Imperial Palace was relocated and reconstructed during the Kanei era (1624 – 1645).
Heiden (National registered tangible cultural property) – Built in 1929 (Showa 4).
Worship Hall (National Registered Tangible Cultural Property) – Rebuilt in 1929 (Showa 4) with a design by Takashi Sunami, an engineer of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Passageway – Built in 1929 (Showa 4).
Shrine – Built in 1929 (Showa 4).
Guest hall (Important Cultural Property) – Azuchi-Momoyama period, 11.8m girder, 10.9m span, single layer, gabled roof, pantile roof. Toyotomi Hideyoshi built Masanori Fukushima as a construction magistrate.
Tea room “Toshin-tei” (Important Cultural Property) – Also called Toshin-seki. A sukiya-style study hall from the early Edo period that is said to have been bestowed by Emperor Gomizunoo. Girder line 7.6m, beam spacing 5.2m, single layer, hipped roof, thatched roof, with eaves on the east side, shingle roof. The interior consists of a three-tatami mat seat and a side of the same area. Delicate designs using various materials such as pine, bamboo, and plum can be seen everywhere, and it is known as a typical tea room favored by court nobles in the early Edo period. Before the early Showa period, it was called ‘Nanakusa no Seki’.
Jinko (National Registered Tangible Cultural Property) – Built in the Taisho period.
Chozuya (National Registered Tangible Cultural Property) – Built in the Taisho period. “Rikyu-no-Mizu” is the only water in Osaka Prefecture that has been selected as one of the top 100 waters in Japan.
Shinmon (National Registered Tangible Cultural Property) – West gate. Azuchi-Momoyama period, Yakuimon format. There is a handprint that is said to be left when Goemon Ishikawa was trying to steal a famous sword that was enshrined there, but was unable to enter the gate due to divine authority and had no choice but to leave.
Moat – Minase-jingu Shrine is still surrounded by moats and earthworks.